February 16, 2015

DSS operatives invade Thomas Reuters’ correspondent residence


Armed Operatives of the Department of State Services, DSS, weekend, reportedly invaded the home of the correspondent of a foreign news agency, Thomas Reuters, Mr. Tife Owolabi, over alleged suspicious act of spying and carted away personal computers and electronic working gadgets, Vanguard reports. 
 
Confirming the development, the Thomas Reuters correspondent, Owolabi, in a text message to newsmen in Yenagoa said: “The DSS men stormed my apartment on Saturday to conduct a search and claimed it was based on the order from Abuja. The DSS men claimed that I am unpatriotic owing to my job and relationship with Thomas Reuters.

“They claimed that they gathered that I sent or planning to send ‘negative‘ report to the outside world. I believe it is a deliberate clampdown on international journalists. “All my working tools, including cameras, laptops, iPad and hard drives are with them. I was asked to report back on Monday.”

Owolabi was quizzed for hours and released to the state Chairman of Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Comrade Tariyon Akono.

Source:Vangaurd

No comments: