December 18, 2014

China's 'Snail Man' WALKS with portable Home on his Back for three-day commute into the city for work


Really snail looking.
 
Liu Lingchao is known as the 'Snail Man' tries to make a living in the Chinese city of Liuzhou by traveling from his rural home a three day's walk carrying his small house along with him. Although his movement is slow and when he wants a rest he simply slinks into the home he carries on his back.
 
Liu walks to Liuzhou in central China's Guangxi Autonomous Region to collect rubbish to sell for recycling - it's not a lucrative career option but works for him given his overheads are so low.
 
'My life started to fall apart six-years-ago when I lost my job after my father died, and my marriage broke up and my wife left me,' he said. 
 

'I was struggling to get back on my feet, and then I realised that I really needed to be doing something to get me out of my depression. 
 
'About the only thing that seemed to be possible was getting involved in garbage recycling collecting plastic bottles and stuff, but the best place to do that is in the city and by the time you've paid accommodation and all the rest of it, there isn't much left.'

 
'I came up with the idea of making a makeshift home that I could just move around easily,' Liu says. 'And now I put it on my back, and walk to the city where I spend a while collecting garbage and selling it.
 
'When I've collected enough, I then walk back home again. It means I have to pay nothing on accommodation and nothing on travel either.'
 
Good for him, there is not winter over there..
 

No comments: