March 4, 2015

Would YOU use a menstrual Cup instead of Sanitary?

This may seem odd but menstrual cup - a reusable silicone cup that collects menstrual fluid - is rarely advertised, most women find themselves reluctant to try it. 

Writing for Healthista.com, I gave the Mooncup (or MCUK, as it is known in the US) a try - to work out what it is, how to use it, and what it actually feels like.

Specifically, menstrual cups which collect menstrual fluid, unlike tampons and sanitary pads that absorb it.

What draws most women to re-usable menstrual cups is that they are economical, eco-friendly and more comfortable as they don’t cause dryness or irritation -  a common bugbear of tampon users.


‘I just feel better about having a Mooncup in my body than I do a tampon,’ one menstrual cup devotee told me. 

Menstrual cups aren’t new - they were patented in 1932 by a group of U.S. midwives. 

But not many women use them or even know about them - perhaps due to the fact that menstrual cups aren’t widely promoted – or sold.

Mother-of-four Genny Wilkinson-Priest says she was initially sceptical about menstrual cups - but was surprised at how effective hers was 
Mother-of-four Genny Wilkinson-Priest says she was initially sceptical about menstrual cups - but was surprised at how effective hers was 

I tried the £18 ($27.50) Mooncup, which like most menstrual cups comes in two sizes: one for women who have given birth before, and one for women who haven’t or are under 30 years of age. 

This struck one friend as slightly odd: ‘I was 29 when I tried the Mooncup, which made me rather concerned as to what the hell was going to happen to my vagina on my 30th birthday? 

'Was it going to expand that much?’
When I first opened the package and saw the Mooncup, I thought no freaking way am I putting that up my hoo-ha. 

And then I remembered I’ve given birth multiple times.

If I can push a 7lb baby out four times in a five year period, surely I can handle a squishy piece of latex that's two inches in diameter

When I first opened the package, I thought no freaking way am I putting that up my hoo-ha.

Whether or not you’ve had a baby, it’s dead easy - you fold the latex cup in half, then in half again. 

At that point it’s only slightly bigger than a tampon and a whole lot more malleable. 

Inserting the Mooncup was a lot easier than I thought. It should sit low in the vagina, with the tip of it sitting just outside your body. 

This took some getting used to as a tampon is inserted higher up in the vagina toward the cervix.
Getting it out however, was another matter

Source:Mailonlie

No comments: